Monday, May 23, 2011

Our First Guest Blogger

Today is super exciting because I have my first guest blogger. I was out and about the other evening and a friend, KS, requested to guest blog and I was happy to oblige here. I sent her this formal invite
Ms. S-
I hope this email finds you well. This correspondence is to let you know that our panel has decided you are a good fit for a guest blogging position. We loved the idea you submitted "Running into the girl you used to babysit on w. 6th" and think our readers will also love it. As we have never had a guest blogger before you can imagine what a great honor this is. We hope you accept this offer and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
Anchors and Argyle Staff

And now for her submission.

Sometimes I feel old when they play Pearl Jam on the classic rock station. Sometimes I feel pathetic when I drink too much at work events and have to call my parents for a ride home. It’s rare that I feel old and pathetic at the same time…

Last Saturday night, at a housewarming party in a downtown condo, I started chatting with L, a girl who grew up in the same suburb as me. After a bit of back and forth – which neighborhood? What street? Etc, L exclaims my childhood nickname with a lot of exuberance. It turns out that “Little L” (as I used to call her) is the baby that lived across the street from me as a child.

This is the first baby that I ever held –my first real babysitting customer. Now she’s a recent college grad who moved in (and now moved out) with the manager of a GNC in Killeen after dating for 3 months. While I silently (and sometimes not so silently) freaked out and downed vodka sodas, we reminisced about Little L’s pit-bull Petey went on a murder spree, killing the neighborhood ducks; how her mom would drop me off at piano lessons in a limo; how she came over to see me in my prom dress.

The evening ended with Little L driving me home after one too many vodka sodas. Old and pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment